Friday, September 17, 2010

August 4, 2004

After more than three years of taking an antidepressant I’m ready to quit. My doctor originally prescribed them for me because of the panic attacks I was having every few weeks that were brought on by the hormonal changes of perimenopause. I continued after Steve died to help me keep from sinking into the abyss of maternal depression. Now I’m tired of depending on a drug to keep my mood level. Besides, my sadness isn’t as bad as it used to be and anyone in my situation would be at least a little sad, wouldn’t they?

I talked to Dr P about it. He mapped out a short weaning process for me ~ told me to take my usual dose every other day for two seeks and then quit completely.

I’m actually excited about quitting. I want to feel my life again. I’m also hoping that this will alleviate the memory problems I’ve been having. Although Amy brought up a good point....it might not be the meds at all. The two really big things I’ve forgotten recently have been related to someone’s medical issues. I might just be trying to block these types of things out of my mind because they remind me of Steve's troubles.

The other things I forget are the kinds of things I have always forgotten...the “where-did-I-put-my-keys” kind of forgetfulness.

If it doesn’t improve after I quit the meds, I’ll talk to Dr P about it. For now though, I’m looking forward to a new adventure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment