Thursday, February 3, 2011

October 7, 2004

Marisa and Ethan are home from the hospital! So good to visit them in their own comfy space.
Before going over to see them after dinner tonight, I took a special treasure to Albertson’s floral department.

The day after Nick was born Alice and Don came to meet their new grandson. She carried with her a small bouquet of flowers in a bootie shaped vase. As she placed it on the bedside table she told me, “This little vase was given to me the day David was born and I’ve been waiting all this time to give it to his first baby.”

I have protected this memento for 26 years, waiting as Alice did, to give it to my son's wife when their first baby was born. I was terrified I would break it before I could carry on the tradition started by my sweet mom-in-law. Tonight I walked into the store hugging my carefully wrapped treasure to my chest.

As Lauren filled it with a spray of tiny blue carnations and baby’s breath I told her the story behind it. “...I’ve managed to keep it in one piece and now that my son is a daddy I'm relieved that I can hand it down to his wife.”
“No one has ever brought in an heirloom for me to fill. That is so neat!”
After finishing the flowers she placed the bootie in a box and protectivly surrounded it with floral foam to insure I reached my goal.

“Be careful! And, no charge for the flowers. I hope your daughter-in-law likes it!

She does....and now Marisa is waiting to pass it along to Ethan's wife!

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment